Here it goes…
A Case of You – I know this movie wont be on any other lists of top 10, but I could really feel the love in this warm romantic comedy and felt a strong connection to the characters.
10. 12 Years a Slave – Compelling story and acting that is gonna pick up lots of awards this season. Best historical movie of the year by far.
9. Frozen – A new Disney tale of the quest of a princess to find her sister and stop the eternal winter spell cast on their kingdom.
8. Star Trek: Into Darkness – I felt that this sequel was great and JJ Abrams knows how to re-imagine the original Star Trek canon in ways we couldn’t imagine.
7. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – This movie will rank higher on this list if I were to make it two years from now once the whole trilogy is complete (including Extended Editions), but it is still a very worthy chapter in the tales of Middle Earth.
6. Stories We Tell – Sarah Polley opens up her life and history for all to see in this very interesting look at how we view ourselves and how others view us.
5. The Way Way Back – A movie that makes us want to relive some of our teenage years giving us an amazing portrait of a teen trying to find his way. The characters all felt so real that the viewing wishes that he/she could spend time with them.
4. Saving Mr. Banks – The story behind the story of Mary Poppins is very eye opening and brings back the magic feeling of Disney days of old.
3. Blackfish – One of the best documentaries that I’ve ever see that still leaves me thinking about it 3.5 months after having watched it. Powerful message (all though one-sided).
2. All is Lost – Robert Redford shows that to make a great movie there is no need for dialogue or other actors. He manages to carry the film for 100 minutes just by his own actions and re-actions to everything going on around him.
1. Gravity – Sandra Bullock and George Clooney help tell an amazing story about surviving in one of the most difficult situations possible. The visuals, story and acting are great here. When I finished watching it (both times), I wanted to see it again and again. This movie completely enchanted me!
As I continue to still see more movies from 2013, this list possibly could be updated.
Last updated – 8 Jan 2014
Check out my *updated* movie stats here
To see my reviews of all Oscar Best Picture Winners click here