Once again the 80’s proves to have some great songs nominated for the Best Original Song. I’m still not sure why this year only had 3 nominees instead of the usual 5, because there definitely are some other songs that were worthy of getting a nomination.
Here are the three nominees: (Winner in Bold)
- “Calling You” – Bagdad Café • Music and Lyrics: Bob Telson
- “Two Hearts” – Buster • Music: Lamont Dozier • Lyrics: Phil Collins
- “Let the River Run” – Working Girl – Music and Lyrics: Carly Simon
Song (s) that I think should have been included in the mix: (Not sure if all really are eligible according to Oscar standards…)
- Kokomo – Beach Boys (Cocktail)
- Why Should I Worry – Billy Joel (Oliver & Company)
- Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler (Beaches)
- Get out of My Dreams and Into my Car – Billy Ocean (License to Drive)
- When She Danced – Marilyn Martin and David Foster (Stealing Home)
- 3. – Calling You
- 2. – Two Hearts
- 1. – Let the River Run
- 3. – Buster
- 2. – Bagdad Cafe (Never Seen)
- 1. – Working Girl
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes, Of the three songs, Let the River Run is clearly the best, but if Wind Beneath My Wings was nominated, Carly Simon wouldn’t have stood a chance.
Let me know what you think about these songs!