This year was a very controversial year at the Oscars because many people believed that since The Lego Movie was snubbed in numerous categories, it was expected by many to win this award. I like the song Everything is Awesome, but I gotta say it can be quite annoying after a minute or so. Glory is a very moving song from a powerful Film that was also snubbed in most categories, but it deservingly won this award. The performance by Common and John Legend at the Oscars brought the house down and even I got a bit teary eyed watching it.
Here are the five nominees: (Winner in Bold)
- “Everything Is Awesome” – The Lego Movie • Music and Lyrics: Shawn Patterson
- “Grateful” – Beyond the Lights • Music and Lyrics: Diane Warren
- “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” – Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me • Music and Lyrics: Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond
- “Lost Stars” – Begin Again • Music and Lyrics: Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois
- “Glory” – Selma – Music and Lyrics: John Legend and Common
Song (s) that I think should have been included in the mix: (Not sure if all really are eligible according to Oscar standards…)
- Immortals – Fall Out Boy (Big Hero 6)
- All of the Stars – Ed Shereen (Fault in Our Stars)
- The Last Goodbye – Billy Boyd (The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies)
- Like A Fool – Keira Knightley (Begin Again)
- Miracles – Coldplay (Unbroken)
- 5. – Grateful
- 4. – I’m Not Gonna Miss You
- 3. – Everything is Awesome
- 2. – Lost Stars
- 1. – Glory
- 5. – Beyond the Lights (Never Seen)
- 4. – Glen Campbell (Never Seen)
- 3. – The Lego Movie
- 2. – Begin Again
- 1. – Selma
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most definitely yes! I love the song Glory and can listen to it and be moved by it over and over again!
Let me know what you think about these songs!
Agreed. Everything is Awesome is catchy, but from a guy who didn’t love Selma (though still thought it was solidly good), that song is marvelous, and I find myself listening to it often.
I totally think Everything is Awesome should have won! (And I loved Selma).
found it a bit too annoying for my taste