My Overall Thoughts:
This was the year which helped the Academy decide that 5 Nominations in this category just weren’t enough. At the time, I agreed with that sentiment, but after having seen some of the films that made it into the expanded lists, I think the idea just doesn’t work well.
The Dark Knight was able to get nominations for BP in many of the different awards shows, but not here and that was the main reason for the idea to rethink the limit of 5.
I think that more than 5 cheapens the glory of the nominations and it should be switched back to 5.
The nominees in this year were mostly ok, but overall it can be seen as a weak year because there was no blockbuster epic film that was a clear winner.
The fact that the Academy chose instead to laud all of their awards on SM is a shame because the film really is overrated and was by far the weakest of the 5 nominees which are good films, but not necessarily GREAT ones like they should be.
- 5. – Slumdog Millionaire – VERY over rated film that shouldn’t have won the award this year. Definitely among the mistakes that the Academy has made over the years.
- 4. – The Reader – Winslet was great here despite it not being her best performance. The story itself drags along a bit much tho.
- 3. – Frost/Nixon – Very engaging film that is a great look at how reality and perception can be skewed
- 2. – Milk – Penn loses himself in this role and is unrecognizable here. The story is enjoyable the whole way through.
- 1. – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – An epic look at life and how we all need to learn to recognized whats important and whats not.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – NOT AT ALL! This is a year where any other choice would have been a better one, but the hype and “uniqueness” of the winner really makes everyone still scratch their heads 8 years on.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!