My Overall Thoughts:
This was a very disappointing year, because I truly believe that the voters chose the worst possible choice between the 5 nominees.
The fact that this was one of the few years where they split their votes between Director and Picture shows that it was probably quite a close vote between the two.
The other three nominees are all solid choices but there really is a clear film that is the best of the 5… unfortunately, the voters missed this one.
- 5. – Chicago – One of the worst choices for BP ever! This film may have a catchy tune here or there, but overall, the story is just completely terrible.
- 4. – The Hours – Three nice stories from different time periods that revolve around a similar theme. Great performances by Kidman, Steep and Moore help make this film quite memorable
- 3. – Gangs of New York – Scorsese does a wonderful job of recreating 18th Century New York. The characters are larger than life, but the story isn’t as impactful as it could be.
- 2. – The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – Amazingly done by Jackson in so many narrative and technical aspects but the fact that it’s a middle film in a trilogy makes some people believe that it is missing a beginning and an end.
- 1. – The Pianist – Such an amazing film that is done expertly by Polanski who won Best Director. Brody’s performance here is so telling of the high level of this film and it really is the best of the year IMHO.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Not at all! Chicago is one of the worst choices for BP and they really fumbled the ball here when they should have given it to The Pianist which is a harrowing tale of survival in an impossible situation.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!