My Overall Thoughts:
This is a rare Oscar year where all 5 films are spectacular and each and every one of them would have been well deserving of winning BP.
Obviously, AB is an amazing film that says so much about American society and the need for being materialistic which really rung true with so many people as to how they perceive the world and therefore the film felt so realistic to so many people.
It won so many awards this year that it was a shoe-in to win here despite it not being the best film of the year, but rather being the most realistic story.
The question actually remains as to whether looking back, it still holds up as well now than it did 17 years ago when it came out.
- 5. – The Cider House Rules – Such an amazing film because it looks at a complex issue thru such simple eyes and shows us a different way to look upon things in life. Caine and Maguire are superb here
- 4. – The Insider – This, to me is Crowe’s best performance. I think he won Best Actor the following year because of what he showed us he could do here. The story was so captivating and it is so easy to care about the characters because the situations are so real.
- 3. – The Sixth Sense – The flash wonder known as M. Night Shyalaman gave us an amazing film with a superb idea that works on so many levels. Unfortunately, after a few films, we all saw that he used the same pattern and ultimately we all lost interest in his stuff. This being the first still remains one of his best and was deserving to get nominated.
- 2. – American Beauty – Spacey and Benning are amazing here and this film really hits the nail on the head about the way people can be so materialistic that they forget to live life to its fullest.
- 1. – The Green Mile – Amazing adaptation of the King novel that leaves us all with a message of hope that there is good in the world. Hanks is superb (as always), but Clarke is what makes this film so amazing.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Once again, yes and no. AB says so much about Americana and is a deserving winner, but TGM is a film that resonates more and has a larger impact over time.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!