My Overall Thoughts:
This is yet another great year of nominated films, but there is clearly one that is a few levels above all the rest. The narrative and technical aspects of Saving Private Ryan make it one of the best films ever. The first 30 minutes of the film has changed the way we all look at war films and was really able to capture the horrors and realistic danger of battle.
The other four films are all very good films, but just don’t compare to this Spielberg directed masterpiece.
- 5. – The Thin Red Line – Malick knows how to choose great stories, just doesn’t know how to tell them in a straight fashion. The narrative is great, just tries too hard to be more philosophical than it really should be.
- 4. – Elizabeth – Great biopic of the young Queen Elizabeth I with Blanchett giving an amazing performance as the young Queen
- 3. – Shakespeare in Love – Very clever film that utilizes so much about what we know about Shakespeare and his plays. Works extremely well, but still not the best film of the year.
- 2. – Life is Beautiful – Benigni showed that it’s possible to make a sad yet somewhat humorous film about the Holocaust and still have a powerful effect on the audience.
- 1. – Saving Private Ryan – Amazing ensemble war film that asks so many questions about the meaning of war. This is a visual spectacle like nothing ever before and very few have come close since.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Not At ALL!!! One of the biggest mistakes of all of the years of Oscar history. SIL is a fun film, but doesn’t come anywhere near comparison to SPR in story nor technical aspects. Looking back after 18 years and its still seen as a real travesty!
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!