My Overall Thoughts:
This is another year where the Academy members really fumbled the ball.
Three of the five films are truly deserving of being considered for the top spot with the other two being very good films, but feeling in some ways like placeholders since neither had much of a chance of winning BP.
The three deserving films are all in different genres are are each the best of the year in their own fields; romance, action and adventure, but when needing to compare the three., one clearly sticks out as the best and most memorable film.
- 5. – Babe – Fun simple film that is slightly lovable, but not really worthy of winning the BP award. Special effects are done quite well and that is an award it was very rightfully deserving of winning.
- 4. – Il Postino – Interesting love story that works on numerous levels. Troisi is superb here and it’s unfortunate that this was his final film
- 3. – Braveheart – Gibson does a wonderful job with this film. Great action scenes, great story with a very poignant message. As good as it is tho, not the best of the year.
- 2. – Sense and Sensibility -Amazing adaptation of Austin’s novel. Cast is superb and it’s such a great love story done perfectly.
- 1. – Apollo 13 – Excellent film that tells a true tale of heroism, suspense filled with a patriotic flair. Howard does a wonderful job with this story. The cast is amazing. Film resonates so well even after 21 years.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Not really. Once again, the Academy members fumbled the ball here. Braveheart is a fun and epic film directed expertly by Gibson, but Apollo 13 is a much better film that rings more true as a patriotic film.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!