My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year led by an epic film directed by an A-list actor who once again showed how multi-talented Hollywood celebs can be.
The mix of films this year include two gangster films, a western, A romance with a fantasy twist and a true story about overcoming medical handicaps.
This was only the second time that an Actor was able to win Best Pic and Best Director (The first was Robert Redford in 1980) and would be repeated two years later and again 13 ears later by Clint Eastwood.
DWW went on to deservingly win 7 awards this year.
Hollywood really knows how to reward their own for spectacular work.
- 5. – The Godfather Part III – Only made it into the list based on the two previous films. This doesn’t bring enough closure and feels too disconnected from the previous two episodes
- 4. – Awakenings – Williams and DeNiro are both excellent here and it’s understandable how they both could get acting nominations for these roles; Williams at the Globes and DeNiro at the Oscars. The story is heartwarming yet falls a bit flat about half way through. The biggest problem that I had with this is that despite both lead actors giving amazing performances, they lack a chemistry that a film like this sorely needed.
- 3. – Ghost – Very romantic film with a supernatural twist. Swayze, Moore and Goldberg are all superb here. Gets the drama and laugh ratio just right.
- 2. – Goodfellas – One of Scorsese’s best films, but it begins to drag towards the end and just isn’t as tight as it coulda been. In any other year, this woulda had more of a chance, but Dances With Wolves just blew everyone away.
- 1. – Dances With Wolves – Amazing epic film that is done just right by actor/director Costner who was able to show the multi-talents of some of Hollywood’s best and brightest. We are completely transported to the old west and by the end, we also are consumed as to who to root for because we really can feel a connection to the Native Indians.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Great epic film done amazingly by Costner. Really gives us the feeling that we now know what it was like for men like him.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!