My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year for Oscar where all 5 films really are stellar.
None of the films really swept the awards season and it was an open possibility for a number of them to take home the top award.
DMD was a surprising choice and in retrospect, it feels like the voters just chose to go with a safe choice instead of the controversial one.
The fact that Stone got Best Director and not Picture says a lot and this was one of the few times that the two top categories were split, which is rare but not unheard of.
- 5. – My Left Foot – Day-Lewis is superb here in the lead role which garnered him his first of 3 Oscar wins for Best Actor but the story.
- 4. – Driving Miss Daisy – Pleasant story that is elevated by the performances of Tandy and Freeman, which is all about mismatched friendship, but by no means the best film of the year.
- 3. – Born on the Fourth of July – Cruise is amazing here in the lead role. Great story, but it lags a bit here and there. Stone does a wonderful job directing this, but it lacks the passion that was so prevalent in Platoon (1986)
- 2. – Field of Dreams – Magical story that is not just a film about baseball, but about dreams and hopes of relationships between fathers and sons and families in general.
- 1. – Dead Poet’s Society – Amazing story that highlights Williams unbelievable talent as a dramatic actor instead of just a comedic one. Very emotional and powerful story remains one of the best films about students and a teacher to this day.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Not at all! DMD is a fun and endearing film, but not the best of the year. Most people thought BoT4oJ would take home the top award eventhough much controversy arose around the film.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!