My Overall Thoughts:
This was a pretty week year for BP nominees and I would only classify 3 of the 5 as worthy of really being among the elite of the year.
Rain Man was a clear cut winner for months and it wasn’t much of a surprise especially based on Hoffman’s amazing performance that has become iconic as the perennial basis for the way autistic savants are seen ever since.
- 5. – The Accidental Tourist – Somewhat boring film that probably was a better novel. Davis injects a lot of energy into the film, but isn’t able to make it more enjoyable to watch.
- 4. – Dangerous Liaisons – Great performances by Malkovich, Pfieffer and Close, but the story is a bit lackluster
- 3. – Mississippi Burning -Hackman and DaFoe do an amazing job as they try to deal with racism in the recently desegregated South. Powerful story works so well.
- 2. – Working Girl – Griffiths is superb here as a secretary turned executive. Really hit hard during the 80’s corporate America because it says so much about how that world worked
- 1. – Rain Man – Hoffman is superb in the title role and his chemistry with Cruise makes this a great road film with heart.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most definitely! Rain Man is clearly the best of the crop here. It shows a powerful human story that is accented by Hoffman’s amazing performance.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!