Empire of the Sun
My Overall Thoughts:
This was another year where there wasn’t really any doubt in people’s minds which film would win the top award because of the epic production created for TLE.
The rest of the films are all ok, but none come anywhere close to eclipsing the feelings elicited by this epic about the final Chinese Emperor – Pu Yi.
- 5. – Moonstruck – Cher shows how great an actress she can be here, but the story is somewhat fluff and Cage just has no chemistry with her like one would expect from the pair.
- 4. – Broadcast News -Nice and fun film about the news system that says so much about how things are run. Hunter and Brooks are both fun to watch, but Hurt just doesn’t cut it here.
- 3. – Hope and Glory -Interesting look at how people dealt with the bombings in England during WWII, but not as good as it could have been.
- 2. – Fatal Attraction – Great film that gives yet another reason to remain faithful to your spouse. Douglas and Close are both great here, but is this really a BP worthy film?
- 1. – The Last Emperor – Amazing production that is done epicly. This film won 9 of 9 Oscar Nominations – all in Production areas. Gripping story that shows us how epic the whole film really is. A must for anyone who loves epic films.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely. Despite This not being your typical Hollywood epic, it still is a spectacular view of a world most of us would never know had this film not been made. The acting isn’t amazing, but the story and all aspects of production made this a film not to be missed by fans of epics.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!