My Overall Thoughts:
Once again, we are presented with a year where there was a clear winner from the get-go.
Platoon is the kind of film that is so much more powerful than the other nominees and is still able to pack it’s punch 30 years after it was made.
- 5. – Children of A Lesser God – Matlee’s performance is superb, but the story feels incomplete and Hurt’s performance feels too over-rated
- 4. – A Room With A View – Somewhat boring film about society in Victorian England but is filled with some great performances.
- 3. – The Mission – DeNiro and Irons are both great here, but the story itself is a bit slow moving.
- 2. – Hannah and Her Sisters – One of Allen’s best films; great characters, humorous and realistic portrayals of love and life, and great pacing.
- 1. – Platoon – Stone showed everyone what a great storyteller and filmmaker he is with this iconic film about the struggles of infantrymen during the Vietnam War. Sheen, Berenger and DaFoe are all superb here.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Such an iconic film about the horrors and dangers of war. None of the other films come anywhere near when it comes to emotional and powerful messages.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!