My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year for choices for BP.
Any of my top three could easily have won it, but the other two were definitely long shots because they had great lead performances by the actors, but the stories are somewhat limited.
- 5. – Tender Mercies – Duvall is superb here and deserved the Oscar for Best Actor, but the story moves along quite slowly and isn’t as inspiring as some of the other nominees this year.
- 4. – The Dresser – The performances by Courtney and Finney make this fun to watch, but the story itself is slightly lacking
- 3. – The Big Chill – Incredible film about friendship and how it can stand over time. The cast is unbelieveably talented and the superb script by Kasden shines through
- 2. – Terms of Endearment – Excellent film that has such heart because it all about family and love above all else. Superb performances by the entire cast which brings this up to an even higher level.
- 1. – The Right Stuff – Amazing true epic story of the beginning of the US space program. Unbelieveable cast helps accentuate the patriotism of it all.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No. ToE is an amazing film with lots of heart, but TRS is still a better film because besides having heart it has the patriotic feeling to it. Similar to what would happen 12 years later with Apollo 13, the Academy went with the sentimental choice over the patriotic one.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!