My Overall Thoughts:
All 5 of the film nominated this year are pretty good, but I think that only two of them had a real shot of winning.
The big question of the night was whether the voters would go with the heartwarming technical spectacle created by Spielberg or the epic biopic superbly created by Attenborough.
History records that they went with the epic, but the question will always remains as to whether they made the correct choice or not.
- 5. – The Verdict – Newman once again shows how great an actor he is, but the story is a bit tedious and moves along too slowly.
- 4. – Tootsie – Very funny film that showcased Hoffman’s ability to also do comedy. Does a great job satirizing show business.
- 3. – Missing – Excellent story about love of a child which shows how far a parent could go. Lemmon is superb here
- 2. – Gandhi – Kingsley is superb here in this epicly shot film. Attenborough’s best film as director because it shows how he got everything to come together just right.
- 1. – E.T. – Spielberg’s heartwarming film about friendship takes the cake as the best film of the year and still remains amazingly magical 34 years after it’s release
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No. Gandhi is an amazing epic that works on so many levels, but ET is a much more heartwarming choice.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!