My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year of films chosen for BP save one (IMHO).
The ultimate winner is considered a relatively safe choice because despite AN being a better film overall, it doesn’t have the global appeal that KvK has.
On a personal note, having gone through a divorce of my own, I know how harrowing an ordeal it could be and both Hoffman and Streep’s performances show how realistic this film feels.
- 5. – All That Jazz -Great music and choreography works really well here, but the story itself is lacking and gets a bit too strange too often along the way.
- 4. – Breaking Away -Inspirational film about a bunch of friends looking forward to finding their path to their futures.
- 3. – Norma Rae – Field gives an amazing performance as an advocate for organized unions which still resonates so well now.
- 2. – Kramer vs. Kramer – Realistic look at how divorce can affect people especially when a child is caught in the middle of it all.
- 1. – Apocalypse Now – Great look at the horrors of events during the Vietnam War. Nearly 40 years later, the film feels even more realistic than it might have back then. This IMHO is Coppola’s best film.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! KvK is a great film that was deserving of winning the top award, but AN is a much more harrowing and thrilling film that deals with the aftereffects of the Vietnam War
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!