Close Encounters of the Third Kind
My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year of nominees.
Each of the 5 films chosen are great ones and any could have won the top award.
The diversity that year between the Globes and Oscar choices helps accentuate this fact since both Globe winners didn’t end up winning at the Oscars.
- 5. – Julia – Gripping film about what people are willing to do for others and how friendships can last over many years despite being away from one another.
- 4. – The Turning Point – Not a film I would have thought I’d like, but I did. They do a great job of dealing with the idea of how one reflects on choices made in life.
- 3. – The Goodbye Girl – Dreyfuss and Mason are great together and know how to perfectly deliver all of Simon’s words to make us truly believe it all.
- 2. – Annie Hall – One of the best rom-coms ever made. Allen is perfect as the neurotic lead character and Keaton is great as his opposite. I still quote this film all the time.
- 1. – Star Wars -Amazing Sci-fi saga that introduced the world to a galaxy far far away that has helped fuel the imagination of millions ever since.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! AH is a hilarious film and one of the best rom-coms ever made but it isn’t as thrilling as SW was. That being said, knowing that the Academy members wouldn’t have even considered awarding a Sci-FI film the top award back then (and maybe even now), They did make the right choice in the end.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!