My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year where there really are only two films which I think could have won the top award.
In truth tho, it was inevitable that OFOTCN would take top honors because the Academy members just weren’t yet ready to give the award to a thriller/horror film despite it being a clearly better film.
The best thing that can be taken from this year is the fact that a young director named Steven Spielberg had a long career ahead of him and that he would be a director everyone needs to be on the lookout for.
- 5. – Nashville – Altman tries to tell a story from numerous perspectives but things get a bit lost by the way it is presented. It’s too bad that the characters aren’t interesting enough and that the film drags too much instead of flowing the whole way through.
- 4. – Dog Day Afternoon -Pacino is amazing here in this true tale of a robbery gone completely wrong despite being done for the right reasons.
- 3. – Barry Lyndon – Kubrick does a great job of telling a tale of a “nobody” who wants to be somebody. A bit long, but still fun to watch.
- 2. – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Nicholson is amazing here and we get to see how human nature and the mind actually work when dealing with insanity and conformity to the ways of society.
- 1. – Jaws – Such a thrilling film that does so much with just its camera work to make us scared. The modern day tale of Moby Dick works on so many levels. Spielberg proved with this film that he would be a director to be reckoned with over the next 40+ years
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! Jaws is a better film because it’s thriling and gripping and drags us in so easily, but OFOTCN is a better look at human nature and the mind. The Academy wasn’t yet ready to award a thriller/horror film the top award and therefore they did make the right choice in the end.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!