My Overall Thoughts:
I think only 3 of the nominees this year really deserved spots on this list and am still a bit perplexed how the other two made it in.
In general, I think this year was an off year for films and studios opted for films on the “lighter” side of things which is why the 3 best films of the year are all seen from a comedy perspective.
- 5. – Cries & Whispers – Extremely boring story that apparently is visually amazing for lovers of filming techniques used as metaphors. I’m still perplexed how this got a BP nom.
- 4. – The Exorcist – The first horror film to ever get nominated for BP. The story is quite iconic tehse days, but it is still mostly just for fan of the genre.
- 3. – A Touch of Class – Segal and Jackson have amazing chemistry together here as a couple trying to have an affair. For a rom-com, this film has such a powerful message along with lots of funny scenes along the way.
- 2. – American Graffiti – Great film by Lucas that really was able to revive the 60’s feel a decade later. Amazing characters who all remind us what it was like to be young and free with our whole lives ahead of us.
- 1. – The Sting -Redford and Newman give us a feel good heist film along with a star studded supporting cast. Proof that even “lighter” films can still win BP.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes I do! The Sting is a great caper film and showed that it’s possible to win BP by just being a fun loving film instead of something dark and deep. AG and AToC are both amazing films also, but neither is as impactful as TS was.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!