My Overall Thoughts:
Great year of nominees because each and every one of them has reasons for being considered among the best films of the year.
Once again, it came done to choosing between the Best Drama and the Best Musical and the voters chose to go with the best drama in the end.
- 5. – A Clockwork Orange – A movie that needs too much to be deciphered to even attempt to enjoy. Kubrick was a genius, but he tried here to leave too much for the viewer to guess. When you watch a movie, you want to be drawn in, but here I only felt that it was trying to repulse me the whole time.
- 4. – Nicholas and Alexandra – Great biopic of the last years of the Russian Royal family as the country moved close rand closer to revolution in the early days of the 1900’s.
- 3. – The Last Picture Show -Great look at how the young wish to be older and how the older people wish to be young again.
- 2. – The French Connection – Film that helps define the detective genre for films and TV shows. Hackman is excellent as the main character and deserved his Oscar for the role.
- 1. – Fiddler on the Roof – Amazing film about how people try to hold on the family traditions and how it gets more and more difficult to hold on to once you begin to bend the rules. Topol is superb here, great message with some amazing songs.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I think Fiddler is a much better movie that has more of an emotional impact, but due to it’s subject matter, it didn’t have much of a chance at getting the top award.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!