My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year of choices for BP since all of the nominees are quite powerful films.
The Academy this year chose to go with the film that was a strong biopic instead of choosing the great comedy/social commentary film or even the emotionally powerful romance.
Any of the five nominees would have been the right choice because they are all THAT good.
- 5. – Five Easy Pieces -Nicholson is quite good here as a man trying to hide form his upscale upbring by posing as a working class laborer.
- 4. – Love Story – O’Neal and MacGraw are good here, but their chemistry together isn’t always as present as it probably should be. Liked the way that they are able to show a couple who prefer love over substance as they both try to break free from their very different upbringings. Milland is great as O’Neal’s overbearing father. Done really well, but not THE best film of the year. Recommended!
- 3. – Patton – Scott is very powerful in this biopic, but the story is a bit too choppy and some scenes feel quite incomplete.
- 2. – Airport – Nicely done disaster film that shows that it’s possible to also develop characters during films like these along with compelling back and front stories for numerous characters.
- 1. – M*A*S*H – Such a fun movie to rewatch because the characters and situations are spot on. Altman really knew how to create a carnival atmosphere and kept his characters seem so real despite everything going on around them. Amazing cast led by Sutherland, Skerritt, Gould, Kellerman and Duvall. The fact that they were able to tell a film about social issues related to a completely different war is truly an amazing accomplishment to achieve. A great (anti-) war film all around and it’s no surprise that it spawned a TV series that lasted 11 seasons plus.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Nope. As great a film as Patton is, it’s not the best of the films nominated. M*A*S*H is so much better because not only does it make a statement about the way the current Vietnam war was being raged, it also left you feeling like you understand the characters and all that they stand for.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!