My Overall Thoughts:
Three of this years nominees are extremely powerful dramas that either reflected the rising racial tension of the 60’s or are a violent gangster film that is one of the best made.
The other two nominees are either an outrageous comedy that is very overrated in the 50 years since it came out or a family friendly musical that is fun, but doesn’t really deserve to be among these elite films.
- 5. – Doctor Doolittle – Harrison does a fun job with this film as a Vet being able to communicate with animals, but is it really Best Picture material?
- 4. – The Graduate – Hoffman is fun to watch here, but as interesting as this film is, it’s a bit overrated.
- 3. – In the Heat of the Night -Steiger and Poitier are both great here in this film about racial tension in the South. It came out at a time when it was needed to be made and properly reflected the thinking of people at the time.
- 2. – Bonnie and Clyde – Dunaway and Beatty are great as the infamous duo of robbers and it’s done so well that you actually can believe the story.
- 1. – Guess Whose Coming to Dinner – Great film about social and racial tolerance and intolerance that was made at the right time. Amazing cast helps make this even better because the theme is one that is easily relateable to just about anyone.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Nope. ITHotN is a great film about racial tolerance, but GWCtD is an even better one because it deals with a situation that anyone could relate to.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!