My Overall Thoughts:
I believe that when these films came out, all 5 of the films were considered worthy enough to vie for the top award at the Oscars.
Two of them IMHO have subsequently lost that honor due to not being able to still be viewed as being as impactful now as they were then.
The ultimate winner is a film who’s message can still be felt no matter the time or place.
- 5. – Alfie – Caine is ok in this film about a womanizer who looks at the way his life is going. Probably was viewed better when it came out.
- 4. – The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming! – Satirical look at the way the cold war was affecting people. Has some really fun scenes, but feels a bit dated.
- 3. – Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – Great dialogue driven film that centers around 4 characters the whole time, yet keeps us interested throughout. Lots of fun to watch!
- 2. – The Sand Pebbles – One of McQueen’s best roles despite the fact that he really isn’t in a leadership role like usual. Loved the way that this film takes its time telling us the story in a complete and epic fashion. The side story with Bergen works because we are teased by it just like the way the main character is tempted to make decisions in life based on his chance meeting. The way they show how the class system on the gunship works helps us understand so much about the social ladder of that time and place. The tension is built up so well as the story moves along. Loved the way that they portray the action when things come to a head and we get to easily see that not much has changed in the almost century since this film takes place when it comes to rules of battle. By far, the best film IMHO of 1966.
- 1. – A Man For All Seasons – Excellent film about faith, loyalty and standing up for your own convictions no matter the consequences.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! AMFAS is an amazing film about faith, loyalty and friendship and as great as SP and WAoVW are, they just aren’t as powerful and impactful.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!