My Overall Thoughts:
Great year of nominees. Four out of five of them really had a chance of winning the top award because they all have great messages about life and friendship.
Once again, the voters needed to choose between a musical/comedy and drama film for the best film of the year.
Beckett and My Fair Lady were the winners at the Globes and both could have been chosen here along with two other comedy/musicals nominated that year – Mary Poppins and Dr. Strangelove.
In the end, they went with the lighter fair and chose My Fair Lady.
- 5. – Zorba the Greek – Quinn and Bates are great together as unlikely friends. Fun film to watch, but was easily overmatched that year by the other four strong nominees.
- 4. – My Fair Lady – Great musical about nurture vs. nature. Harrison and Hepburn have great chemistry together. Fun and entertaining film that still resonates so long after it was made.
- 3. – Becket – Great dialogue driven film about the separations of church and state in England and how men will do all they can in order to keep his integrity no matter what. Burton and O’Toole are perfect together.
- 2. – Mary Poppins – Fun loving film with a great message about family. Disney did a great job with this film. Andrews is perfect as the best nanny a family could want.
- 1. – Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb – Kubrick does an excellent job showing the absurdity of the whole Cold War with this satirical look at the whole situation. Still hilarious and poignant after 55 years.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Nope. MFL is a fun film, but I think at least three of the other films are more poignant with more powerful messages
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!