My Overall Thoughts:
I’m still shocked that they decided to award Tom Jones BP this year. All 4 of the other choices are much better films and each would have been much more worthy of winning the top award.
TJ also won the Golden Globe for BP for Comedy/Musical, but the eventual GG winner for Drama was The Cardinal (1963), which was also a much better film.
- 5. – Tom Jones – On of the worst choices for BP IMHO. Finney is over the top here and the story just isn’t very interesting to watch; not funny at all and quite a boring story.
- 4. – How the West Was Won – Great epic film about how the settlers eventually managed to populate the west despite many difficulties and hardships along the way. They try to do too much here with the separate stories and sometimes it feels a bit rushed. It’s too bad that each segment wasn’t expanded into its own film instead of crunching them all together.
- 3. – Cleopatra – Amazing epic film about the life of the Egyptian Queen. Feels like two stories rolled into one. The first one is stronger than the second but watching this film is a true spectacle.
- 2. – America America – Great tale of immigration to the US and the hardships faced by a Greek peasant who does all he can to make it to the place where he can live out his dream. One of Kazan’s best films (if not THE best)
- 1. – Lilies of the Field – Poitier is amazing in this slow moving film about the unlikely friendship between a black migrant worker and a group of nuns. Simple yet so effective!
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Not at All! I think TJ is one of the worst choices for BP overall. LotF and AA are both amazing and have so much more to say than the unfortunate winner.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!