My Overall Thoughts:
Another great year of nominees. Four of the five films are superbly done, yet this was a year when nothing could stop the juggernaut known as Ben-Hur from taking most of the awards this year.
- 5. – Room At the Top – Harvey is pretty good here, but at points he is quite a bore which seems to be on purpose. Sears is also good here, but Signoret steals the show with her Oscar winning performance. Liked the way they were able to be frank about life and what people are willing to do for love and also to get to the top.
- 4. – The Nun’s Story – Does an excellent job of showing the life of a nun. Hepburn does a wonderful job as the conflicted woman who has trouble balancing her faith with her yearning to heal. Liked the way they showed us so much of what it means to be a woman of the cloth and trying to detail the process. The themes of this film are great because we get to experience along with the main character why she has questions about her faith vs. profession. I can understand how people can really adore this film.
- 3. – Anatomy of a Murder – Great courtroom drama. Well ahead of its time because of the issues discussed which are tame by today’s standards but very risque in 1959.
- 2. – The Diary of Anne Frank – Great adaptation of such an iconic and powerful story. Excellent script that gives us the real impression of danger that these people lived in for over two years. Amazing acting by all involved.
- 1. – Ben-Hur – Great epic tale that works on so many different levels. Heston is superb. The epic scale of how this film was made has been the basis for so many other films ever since.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Ben-Hur is one of the greatest epics ever made and is an amazing film. TDoAF may be more emotional a film, but overall, BH is grander in scope.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!