My Overall Thoughts:
This was an interesting year at the Oscars because the winner was the most boring of the 5 films nominated.
Two of the other films nominated are amazing and have such excellent dialogue, but I guess the voters wanted something light to win that year which is a bit unfortunate since looking back, it seems like a travesty that Gigi actually won.
- 5. – Gigi – Very boring and not entertaining at all, still don’t understand how it went 9 for 9 at the Oscars.
- 4. – The Defiant Ones – Groundbreaking movie for its time that just didn’t resonate enough now. Curtis and Poitier were great working off one another but too much seemed strained in their acting.
- 3. – Separate Tables – Great dialogue, interesting characters. Niven and Miller both won Oscars for their roles. Connection between stories is a bit weak tho.
- 2. – Cat on a Hot Tin Roof – Amazing dialogue-driven film. Ives, Taylor and Newman are all superb here and keep things interesting the whole way through.
- 1. – Auntie Mame – Russell is superb in the title role and is such a lovable character. Has the perfect mix of drama and comedy. Message about living life is still relevant now.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Not at all! Auntie Mame is an amazing film with a great message and a great lead character that has so much more to say than Gigi does. I’m still baffled how it won 9 of 9 Oscars this year. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!