My Overall Thoughts:
Overall, this was a pretty weak year for nominees.
Marty is the clearly the best of the films here and has a theme that still resonates today
- 5. – The Rose Tattoo -Nowhere near as good as I had expected knowing that Magnani won an Oscar for this leading role and by the fact that it was written by Williams. Lancaster, who I usually like a lot feels extremely miscast here and comedic in some ways. Not sure how this film was able to get 8 Oscar nominations (including 3 wins)
- 4. – Picnic – Pretty bland story about rebelling and wanting more in life. Cast is ok here but Holden (who I love) was horribly miscast because he comes off as being too old for the part he plays. The dialogue is sharp, but you don’t end up feeling that there was a strong enough message in the story.
- 3. – Love is a Many-Splendored Thing – Jones and Holden have interesting chemistry here because it doesn’t always work as it should. Liked the story, but it feels like it was way too predictable and not original enough. Liked how the characters kept getting so many different kinds of advice from their friends, family and colleagues which made that aspect feel more realistic. Unfortunately tho, on a whole, this film is lacking real heart and the feeling of a real romance between the characters. –
- 2. – Mister Roberts – Excellent script. Story and characters written extremely well. Expertly takes military command conflicts to a higher level. Cast is amazing!
- 1. – Marty – Feel good movie that shows how love can possibly grow in an instant and that it is never what you can expect. Ernest Borgnine is amazing here and portrays the main character in such a way that we all can imagine him as the local butcher who forever remains the bachelor.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Borgnine is perfect here and really brings the character and story to life during an age where certain things weren’t discussed.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!