The Lost Patrol
My Overall Thoughts:
It Happened One Night became the first film to ever win all 5 top Oscar Awards (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay) and that would only happen two more times in the next 80 years (as of 2016), so despite it not ageing so well, it apparently was a very loved film at the time.
(As of now, I have seen each and every Oscar nominated film from 1946 thru the present. Starting with 1945’s nominees, there are movies that I have yet to see, so I will only rank the films that I’ve seen so far and will update as I see the missing films.)
- 12.- The Barretts of Wimpole Street
- 11.- Cleopatra
- 10.- The White Parade
- 9.- The Gay Divorcee
- 8.- Here Comes the Navy
- 7.- The House of Rothschild
- 6.- Imitation of Life
- 5. -One Night of Love
- 4. – Viva Villa!
- 3. – Flirtation Walk – Fun film that feels a bit rushed but still works. The music is great along with the production of the songs and the dialogue helps keep things interesting the whole time. The verbal debates between Powell and Keeler are quite interesting to watch. Quite interesting to see how Pearl Harbor and West Point were viewed prior to the events that brought the US into World War II.
- 2. – It Happened One Night – Very good screwball rom-com, just doesn’t really age well. Gable, and Colbert are both excellent here
- 1. – The Thin Man – Powell and Loy are great together and their banter makes this film so much fun. The mystery is done quite well and they do an amazing job keeping us guessing the whole way through.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I can understand how IHON could win this top award and also be the first (of only 3) film(s) to win the top 5 Oscars. The film doesn’t hold up as well today as it probably did back then. Having not seen most of these films, I can’t claim yet to know whether there are many others that are better than this one.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!