Here are the five nominees: (Winner in Bold)
Steve Carell (Foxcatcher),
Bradley Cooper (American Sniper),
Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game)
Michael Keaton (Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance))
Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)
David Oyelowo – Selma (2014)
My Overall Thoughts:
This year featured 5 great performances and any of them could be considered a worthy winner
5. Steve Carell
4. Bradley Cooper
3. Benedict Cumberbatch
2. Michael Keaton
1. Eddie Redmayne
– A great sports biopic that is also disturbing to watch, but invites us deep inside a very complex and interesting true story. Not gonna be on my rewatch list so soon despite it being such a great story. Carell really loses himself in the character and it is so easy to forget who the actor is, which is essentially what we want
4. The Theory of Everything
– Excellent acting by the two leads elevates a good story to something even better. Very informative and eye opening biopic.
3. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
– Not your normal, mainstream kind of Best Picture nominee, but it has a strong case for being the best both in term of technical film making and giving us an interesting story and character that we want to know more about and understand him.
2. The Imitation Game
– Excellent telling of this important story that most of us (probably) knew nothing about. Cumberbatch does a great job as the “spacey” professor whose mind works on a different wavelength than everyone else. I understand why it was done, but the social issues brought up seemed a bit too politicized instead of helping with the story.
1. American Sniper
– Very patriotic message that also shows the difficulties veterans face once they return home. Cooper is great and definitely deserved his Oscar nomination for Best Actor for the third consecutive year. Very moving movie!
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes! Any of the 5 nominees would have been worthy of winning this year because they are all stellar performances, but Redmayne was slightly better.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!