Sam Rockwell – Moon
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a pretty good year for nominees, with Firth, Renner and Bridges giving great performances, but it was quite clear who would win Gold from these roles.
5. George Clooney
4. Morgan Freeman
3. Jeremy Renner
2. Colin Firth
1. Jeff Bridges
5. Invictus – This story shows how sport can be used in more ways than just to have fun. The ideas shown here by Mandela are quite amazing to watch because we can see how much opposition he received while on his quest to unifying his country. Freeman and Damon are both great here, but the accents were a bit off kilting to listen to. They showed a bit too much of the games played which was a bit disconcerting since I don’t quite understand the rules of the game of Rugby. Another Eastwood directorial masterpiece that puts all the pieces together quite well. Great story, cinematography, characters and most of all music make this even more enjoyable to watch.
4. A Single Man – Great performance by Firth, but the film is a bit lacking and isn’t as outstanding as it could have been.
3. The Hurt Locker – Very gripping (anti-) war movie that tries to show the truth about war and its effects on soldiers during and afterwards. Not THE best movie of the year, but amongst them.
2. Up in the Air – Great movie. Perfectly cast. Shows how people try to hide their loneliness until it just bursts out.
1. Crazy Heart – Excellent performances by Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Great music especially the theme song.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! I think Bridges does a wonderful job here and clearly gave the best performance of the five.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!