Will Farrell – Stranger Than Fiction
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a pretty mediocre year for single performances and some of the best films of 2006 were ensemble one. When looking at the individual performances, they might stand out, but few can really carry the film they are part of.
5. Ryan Gosling
4. Peter O’Toole
3. Leonardo DiCaprio
2. Will Smith
1. Forest Whitaker
5. Half Nelson – Gosling shows he has the acting ability to be great even iof the film itself isn’t that inspiring.
4. Venus – Interesting film that works while still feels a bit uncomfortable the entire time. O’Toole is truly amazing in this film and once again was able to prove what kind of actor he was and that he was willing to take risks for roles that might be somewhat different and controversial. The story plays out quite well and it’s quite interesting to watch this newly found friendship for two somewhat lost souls develop.
3. The Last King of Scotland – Nice historical movie, but feels too distant and doesn’t make us connect with any of the characters or the situations.
2. Blood Diamond – Controversial film that gets to the source of much of the various conflict is darkest Africa. DiCaprio is quite good here and he shines despite it not being his best performance.
1. The Pursuit of Happyness – Very moving biographical film that shows how someone can overcome obstacles if he tries his best. Smith is great here.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I think Whitaker does a great imitation of Iddi Amin, but the film itself isn’t so great and that takes away from the impact his character may have.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!