Eric Bana – Munich
My Overall Thoughts:
This is yet another year where the top male performances are not so intriguing. As a matter of fact the entire Oscar ceremony that year was quite lackluster so it sorta makes sense that this category would also follow suit.
5. Terrence Howard (Not Yet Seen)
4. Heath Ledger
3. David Strathairn
2. Philip Seymour Hoffman
1. Joaquin Phoenix
5. Hustle & Flow (Not Yet Seen)
4. Brokeback Mountain – Doesn’t live up to the hype at all. Interesting concept, just doesn’t work on a level that you really can believe they are in love. Disappointing.
3. Capote – Great performance by Hoffman carries this movie. Difficult subject matter that is based on true events.
2. Good Night, and Good Luck – Straitharn is great here as Murrow. Nice choice to do it all in black and white and incorporate real footage of McCarthy. Subtle but powerful film about the media influence on the world even back in the 50’s.
1. Walk the Line – Great music, great story and great performances all together make this my favorite movie of 2005. Unfortunately, only Witherspoon got an Oscar for it.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I think Hoffman does a really good Capote impression, but the character arc of Phoenix as Cash is spectacular and shows so much more depth and range for the character.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!