Bob Hoskins – Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year where there was a clear front runner as soon as anyone saw the performance given by Hoffman which has become so iconic because it truly is superb. No one else really stood a chance and should just be happy to have been nominated.
5. Max von Sydow
4. Edward James Olmos
3. Gene Hackman
2. Tom Hanks
1. Dustin Hoffman
5. Pelle the Conqueror – Interesting story that despite being quite simple, actually manages to stay interesting the entire time. Von Sydow is great as the caring father and was deserving of his Best Actor nomination at the Oscars, but there was no way that he was going to be able to beat Hoffman in Rain Man (1988). The contrasting way that life for different classes at the time is shown quite well and in minute detail. The cinematography is great and we get to see some great landscapes.
4. Stand and Deliver – Very moving and inspirational film that is even more powerful when you know that it’s based on fact. Olmos is superb in the lead role and is able to portray a commanding yet funny teacher whose sole goal is to make the lives of his students better. Obviously this is Hollywood so parts are not based on truth but this film makes everyone wish they had such a motivated teacher like him when they were in high school.
3. Mississippi Burning – Hackman and Dafoe work so well together because their characters are so different and use different methods to accomplish their goals. The story is quite compelling and thrilling and they easily keep us interested for the entire runtime of the film. The issues dealt with here are quite impactful and so much is said by the way they tell the story. They show us a great perspective on how it is possible that racism still existed in the South a century following emancipation.
2. Big – This movie really hits the nail on the head. Hanks shines and makes us believe that he really is a 12 year old in the body of a 30 year old.
1. Rain Man – Great road movie. Both Cruise and Hoffman are great. Has such a great message about life that is universal and timeless.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Hoffman showed with this win that he can play this kind of characyter amazingly and it is such an emotional role that is so different from his previous win shows the kind of range he has as an actor.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!