Treat Williams – Prince of the City
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a sentimental year since 3 of the 5 nominees were great actors who never won beforehand. The added problem was that all three gave great performances that year and any would have been a worthy winner.
5. Dudley Moore
4. Burt Lancaster
3. Paul Newman
2. Warren Beatty
1. Henry Fonda
5. Atlantic City – Not sure why this movie is considered to be so great. Story is average and the characters are quirky but somewhat likable, but not much more than that. Was nominate for 5 Oscars, but didn’t manage to win any of them.
4. Reds – Good epic biopic but it moves way too slowly. Its easy to see how much this was a labor of love for Beatty. Amazing cast helps a bit. I can understand how this film could garner 12 Oscar Nominations with 3 wins, but the story isn’t as engaging as one would hope. Really liked how they managed to intersperse real interviews with friends and compatriots of Reed and Bryant, but as epic as it may be, it feels too disjointed.
3. Arthur – Fun movie that works really well. Moore is very entertaining here and this was probably his very best work but I’m not 100% convinced that he deserved an Oscar nomination for such a role.
2. Absence of Malice – Raises great questions about journalistic ethics and what can and should be printed and what should be kept private. Loved the way the story played out and how it stayed interesting despite the numerous threads of different parts of the that weave in and out of our focus. Brimley steals the show with his scene and I wished that he would have been in it even more. Newman and Field are both excellent actors, but I just didn’t feel the chemistry between them enough in their shared scenes.
1. On Golden Pond – Excellent movie, amazing acting based on a well written play. Both Fonda and Hepburn were well deserving of their Oscars for this film.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Fonda was an amazing actor and there is no better swansong than to go out on top. This was hos final role and is one of his best portrayals. Newman would have to wait a few more years to won and Beatty won that night for Brest Director before being surprised by everyone that he didn’t get an award for Best Picture.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!