Henry Winkler – Heroes
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a relatively weak year (based on the three performances that I’ve seen so far). Dreyfuss was clearly the best of them but none feel as if they delivered amazingly powerful performances.
5. Marcello Mastroianni (Not Yet Seen)
4. Richard Burton (Not Yet Seen)
3. John Travolta
2. Woody Allen
1. Richard Dreyfuss
5. Equus (Not Yet Seen)
4. A Special Day (Not Yet Seen)
3. Saturday Night Fever – Great soundtrack and the story is also pretty good. Liked how they deal with how life affects us all and what one needs to do in order to try and rise above it all. Travolta really is good here but doesn’t seem to be 19 at all. Fun film to watch and experience.
2. The Goodbye Girl – This film works so well mostly due to the amazing chemistry between its two leads, Dreyfuss and Mason. Even when they clash, you can feel the connection between the characters. As with most Simon plays, the dialogue is superbly written and watching the conversations performed onscreen is amazing because it makes you truly believe that you are watching a live conversation/argument. Dreyfuss deservingly won an Oscar for Best Actor for this role. It wasn’t the best film of ’77, but it comes awfully close. Cummings is also great in a supporting role… it’s too bad this film didn’t help launch her career.
1. Annie Hall – Funny movie, Allen plays himself best. One of the best films of the year and deserving of best picture (eventhough a little sci-fi movie woulda gotten my vote)
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes! Dreyfuss is superb in this film and it didn’t hurt that he played an actor in this film since the Academy loves voting for roles that take place in film or on stage.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!