Anthony Perkins – Psycho
My Overall Thoughts:
This year had three amazing performances that are quite diverse and any of them would have been worthy winners in this pretty tight race.
5. Trevor Howard
4. Laurence Olivier
3. Jack Lemmon
2. Burt Lancaster
1. Spencer Tracy
5. Sons and Lovers – Very slow moving drama that is more of a psychological study than an interesting story. The acting is great with Howard and Stockwell both giving great performances. Film loses some of its impact due to lack of narration that would probably help explain more what is actually happening in the heads of the characters.
4. The Entertainer – Olivier does a nice job as a once popular entertainer trying to get by once the fame begins to fade. His affairs and the slow disintegration of his family life drags him deeper and deeper away from the life he loves and does all he can to try and reclimb the ladder to success. The story itself has too many ups and downs and it doesn’t manage to stay interesting the entire time which is a shame.
3. Elmer Gantry – Interesting movie based on a controversial award winning novel. Lancaster is amazing as the title character. Nice supporting cast.
2. Inherit the Wind – One of the best courtroom dramas ever made. Amazing and witty script based on the play. Both March and Tracy are superb in the two main roles.
1. The Apartment – Excellent movie, has the perfect blend of drama and comedy, written extremely well by Billy Wilder. Lemmon and MacLaine has the perfect amount of chemistry and both helped create such endearing characters.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I think Lemmon, Lancaster or Tracy would have been worthy of winning this year because all of them give great performances. Lancaster was the only one of the trio to not already have an Oscar, so I think that could also have been a factor that helped him beat out the other two.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!