Charlie Chaplin – City Lights
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year that I only saw three of the nominees (harder and harder finding copies of some of these films.) Barry more is quite good here and Menjou was better than Dix. If I ever find a way to see the others, maybe I’ll get a better understanding of the choices here.
5. Jackie Cooper (Not Yet Seen)
4. Fredric March (Not Yet Seen)
3. Richard Dix
2. Adolphe Menjou
1. Lionel Barrymore
5. Skippy (Not Yet Seen)
4. The Royal Family of Broadway (Not Yet Seen)
3. Cimarron – Pretty boring and drawn out movie. Stay away unless you have trouble sleeping.
2. The Front Page – Fun screwball comedy that shows the power of the press when a crime happens. Menjou and O’Brien are fun to watch as they deliver the rapidfire dialogue that is spot on!
1. A Free Soul – Interesting film that deals with a great story that is quite layered and not something that one would expect to see during the era of film. Barrymore is superb in the lead and was quite deserving of winner a Best Actor Oscar for this role. They deal with some great issues throughout that include alcoholism, justice, young love and of course a child doing something to rebel against the wishes of her parents. Great courtroom scenes help make this film quite memorable.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yep! LB is great in AFS and the fact that neither of the other two films that I have seen stand out in any way makes him my choice to win.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!