Here are the five nominees: (Winner in Bold)
Charlie Chaplin – The Circus
My Overall Thoughts:
As we move further back in time, it becomes more difficult to find copies of some of these films. I’ve only seen two of these and neither was that great, so hopefully, the other three performances were also up to par and deserving of their nominations.
5. George Bancroft (Not Yet Seen)
4. Lewis Stone (Not Yet Seen)
3. Paul Muni (Not Yet Seen)
2. Chester Morris
1. Warner Baxter
5. The Patriot (Not Yet Seen)
4. The Valiant (Not Yet Seen)
3. Thunderbolt (Not Yet Seen)
2. Alibi – Pretty average film that doesn’t really offer very much. Quite surprised that this is part of the echelon of films that are included in the list of Best Picture nominees. The plot is quite simple and the dialogue is ok.
1. In Old Arizona – Interesting early western that is quite tame, yet still well done for its time.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – I guess so! I’ve only seen two of these and neither was that great. If the other three are also lackluster performances than I guess Baxter’s win was deserved, but since they are films that are lost, I’ll never truly know.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!