Rob Marshall (Chicago)
Randall Wallace – We Were Soldiers
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a year where anything could happen because no one film was a clear frontrunner in this category because each director won awards for their films in the various ceremonies.
5. Stephen Daldry
4. Martin Scorsese
3. Rob Marshall
2. Pedro Almodóvar
1. Roman Polanski
5. Chicago – Hated this. Can’t believe it won so many awards. Couldn’t get into this movie at all. Some of the songs are ok but the production is done quite well which gives Marshall a few extra points even if the story isn’t the best.
4. Gangs of New York – Epicly done, but I couldn’t get into it or care / sympathize with any of the characters even if Scorsese was able to recreate such a complex time period so well.
3. The Hours – Interesting portrait of life and death told in an interesting way. All 3 leading ladies are superb here,, but I think Moore is the best of the trio.
2. Talk to Her – Great film that takes us on a journey of unexplained occurrences in life that take people places where they never expect. The story revolves around two caregivers as we slowly learn how each of them got to where they are. The story deals with the way life takes us to places and events that we never would have expected to reach while also having us meet and re-meet people along these journeys sometimes without even realizing. The story can be seen on numerous levels about friendship and love and how things can evolve in life. Almodovar was deservingly nominated for Best Director at the Oscars for this film.
1. The Pianist –Amazingly done emotional Holocaust movie. Such an amazing film that is done expertly by Polanski who won Best Director. Brody’s performance here is so telling of the high level of this film and it really is the best of the year IMHO.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! This is a year where the Academy got it right! Giving Polanski the award for BD was a great choice because this film is created so expertly.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!