Robert Zemekis – Cast Away
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a very competitive year at the Oscars and the fact that 3 films all walked away with an equal number of awards says so much about the lack of a real frontrunner. Up until the envelope was opened, it could have bene any of them.
5. Steven Soderbergh (Erin Brockovich)
4. Stephen Daldry
3. Ridley Scott
2. Ang Lee
1. Steven Soderbergh (Traffic)
5. Erin Brockovich – Inspirational movie that shows that anyone can exert themselves and make a difference in the world. IMHO, not Roberts’ best performance, but she did prove that she can play these kind of roles too.
4. Billy Elliot – Interesting idea that tells a great tale of someone trying to follow his dream even if those around him are against it. Bell is superb in the title role and you really can tell how much his character is torn by his own ambitions and what is expected from him by those close to him. The idea of basing this in the 80’s amid the mining strike helps make this story feel even more poignant and important.
3. Traffic – Soderbergh does a great job putting these stories together to give us a fair overview of the diverse and vast war against drugs and how it is dealt with in many different ways. Amazing cast helps hold this together despite the lack of interactions between the three stories. Something feels slightly missing because of the separation of all three stories despite aiming for something higher and greater.
2. Gladiator – Excellent Epic movie, amazingly done by Ridley Scott, Great effects and music.
1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – Amazing movie that has a great mythical tale, superb fight scenes that are unbelievably choreographed and an other worldly feeling that makes one feel breathless when it eventually ends.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes! Soderbergh did an amazing job with Traffic and proved how great a director he was with that film. Lee is a very close second and could have won if his film would have been in English since a foreign language film has never been able to win this award in the history of the Oscars
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!