Neil Patrick Harris – Gone Girl
My Overall Thoughts:
This was actually a somewhat weak year for the role portrayed in this category, (even with 5 fine actors being nominated)but the one of them clearly was high above the rest throughout the entire award season
5. Edward Norton
4. Mark Ruffalo
3. Robert Duvall
2. Ethan Hawke
1. J.K. Simmons
5. Foxcatcher – A great sports biopic that is also disturbing to watch, but invites us deep inside a very complex and interesting true story. Not gonna be on my rewatch list so soon despite it being such a great story. Carell really loses himself in the character and it is so easy to forget who the actor is, which is essentially what we want.
4. The Judge – Downey Jr. and Duvall are amazing together. The seemingly generic themes are elevated by an interesting and complex storyline and the expertise of these two great actors.
3. Whiplash – Excellent performances by Simmons and Teller make this movie such a disturbing pleasure to watch. Perfect example of a movie with a simple plot that is launched into the stratosphere by outstanding lead characters and the actors who portray them.
2. Boyhood – Very interesting and innovative kind of filmmaking but it’s still missing a real point in the end that keeps it from being spectacular. Linklater should be commended on his vision, but it feels too much like a documentary than a life changing story.
1. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) – Not your normal, mainstream kind of Best Picture nominee, but it has a strong case for being the best both in term of technical film making and giving us an interesting story and character that we want to know more about and understand him.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – No Question about it! JKS is superb in Whiplash and was by far the best performance of these 5 nominees
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!