George Clooney – Gravity
My Overall Thoughts:
This was another somewhat weak year of nominees, but the best performance, blew everyone else out of the water because it was so amazing.
5. Barkhad Abdi
4. Jonah Hill
3. Bradley Cooper
2. Michael Fassbender
1. Jared Leto
5. American Hustle – Superb acting and an above average story make for an interesting movie, but something is still missing.
4. Captain Phillips – Hard to go wrong with Hanks, but parts of the story feel too far fetched despite being based on a true story. Very well done movie, but doesn’t live up to all the hype. Interesting story and acting.
3. Dallas Buyers Club – Pretty good movie, but McConaughey is what makes this movie so watchable. It’s definitely his best performance. MM and Leto are both amazing here, but the story lacks the epic feeling and isn’t as powerful as one would hope.
2. The Wolf of Wall Street – Scorsese knows how to give us epic tales, but this one goes on for much longer than it should and loses a lot of its impact in the final act. Great Scorsese movie. A bit long and very graphic. Hard to believe some of it is true, but still a fun story to watch unfold.
1. 12 Years a Slave – Spectacular film that tells such an emotional story that is based on so much truth. McQueen doesn’t shy away from showing the horrific treatment of slaves at a time when half of the US states favored such behavior while the other half were against it, but felt unable to do anything beyond their own borders. The cast is superb and Ejiofor, Nyong’o, Fassbender, Cumberbatch, Giamatti, Dano and Paulson all give very poignant and emotional performances. Nyong’o definitely deserved her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for this very difficult role. This film was definitely a deserving winner of Best Picture at the Oscars despite the fact that Gravity (2013) is a more captivating and an overall better film.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Leto gave the most powerful performance of all of the nominees and no one could come anywhere close to touching him.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!