Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)
Sascha Baron Cohen – Les Miserables
My Overall Thoughts:
This is another great year with 5 very talented nominees but two of the performances stand out high above the rest and it was ultimately between the two of them for the win.
5. Robert De Niro
4. Tommy Lee Jones
3. Philip Seymour Hoffman
2. Alan Arkin
1. Christoph Waltz
5. The Master – Interesting film that shows the effects of war on a soldier as he tries to find his way in the world. Phoenix and Hoffman are both quite powerful here even if the story loses it’s way too often. The message of the film can be seen from various levels and gets a bit too existential like all of Anderson’s films do. Unfortunately, things are too morose and this story isn’t cathartic in any way because that would have made this a bit more interesting.
4. Silver Linings Playbook – Better upon second viewing because the characters are complexly written but in a down-to-Earth way for us to understand them. Cooper, DeNiro, Weaver and Lawrence are both great here and it’s understandable why they would all get nominated because the plot is so character driven. Liked how the plot is interwoven between real events to make it seem even more genuine.
3. Lincoln – Great portrayal of Lincoln’s political genius during a difficult period in US history. Day-Lewis is once again amazing in his role and deserves to be alone at the top as the only actor with 3 Best Actor Oscars to his credit.
2. Django Unchained – Another great film by Tarantino. He once again is able to prove how amazing a storyteller he is. He is the master of mixing genres and the ability to combine both a blacksploitation film and a Western is pure genius. The cast is superbly chosen and Foxx does a wonderful job as the lead but Waltz uses his uncanny ability to steal every scene he is in. He truly deserved his second Oscar for this role. Tarantino once again keeps us interested the entire time and the spoken dialogue of the characters is perfectly written. The music chosen for the soundtrack is great and helps move along the story at a really nice pace. Despite this being a strange kind of revenge film, it works in just about every aspect even better than anyone could have hoped.
1. Argo – Very good movie. Great mix of Hollywood insiders, political intrigue and real life events.Very deserving of winning Best Picture this year.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Waltz once again is able to show his acting talent with this role and was quite deserving of his second S. Actor Oscar for this role. Arkin was a close second.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!