Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder)
Aaron Eckhart – The Dark Knight
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a somewhat lackluster year given the performances of the nominees, but there was no question who the gonna win this award even before all of the campaigning began.
5. Robert Downey Jr.
4. Michael Shannon
3. Josh Brolin
2. Philip Seymour Hoffman
1. Heath Ledger
5. Tropic Thunder – Very talented cast is wasted here because the story gets too over the top. The premise of the film is a bit absurd and time and again reminds us of how unrealistic this idea truly is. They do get the personalities of shallow and self loving some actors can be when making a film and those parts are funny, but overall, this film misses its mark over and over. Downey Jr. plays his character quite over the top and was rewarded by getting an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for this role despite it being far from among his best.
4. Revolutionary Road – Depressing but interesting character study that doesn’t work as well as I had hoped. Unlike in Titanic (1997), I had a lot of trouble believing the relationship between Leo and Kate in this film. Liked how the only person who can see the truth is labeled a troublemaker because there were things people didn’t do or say back then.
3. Milk – Great film that is led by an amazing Penn who is able to transform himself into the character making us forget who is playing the role. The story is told quite well and we get a clear sense of the way that gays and other minorities were treated at the time. The supporting cast is also great and the fact that this is based on a true story helps give this film an even harder impact. The problem is that there is something slightly missing that would have raised the stakes even higher and would have made it amazing. Nominated for 8 Oscars but only managed to win Best Actor and Best Screenplay.
2. Doubt – Excellent portrayal of an accuser and suspect situation where we never know the truth and either side can be successfully argued. Amazing cast led by Streep, Adams and of course the wonderful Hoffman who does a great job trying to profess his innocence in the midst of high suspicion. Dialogue is impeccable and it gives us even more depth to the characters and storyline.
1. The Dark Knight –Such an amazing film and is still the very best Superhero film made to date. The music pacing and so many other aspects of the film making process are done perfectly by Nolan once again proving how great a film maker he truly is. The cast is superb and they all play perfect pieces of the overall puzzle of the story. Obviously, Ledger stands out in his amazing turn as the Joker which earned him a posthumous Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Was definitely snubbed by the Academy and didn’t get it’s deserved Best Picture Nomination which is a complete farce.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – No question about it! It was a pretty known fact Ledger was gonna win this award because his performance was spectacular in this film and still remains the most powerful performance of a superhero movie villain ever.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!