Justin Henry (Kramer vs. Kramer)
David Warner – Time After Time
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with two outstanding performances that were neck in neck the whole way even tying at the Globes.
5. Mickey Rooney
4. Frederic Forrest
3. Justin Henry
2. Melvyn Douglas
1. Robert Duvall
5. The Black Stallion – Extremely boring film that takes too long to get to its point. The novel just doesn’t translate well enough to the screen because most of what transpires through the first half of the film is wordless. The one good thing about this film is its cinematography and we get to watch beautiful landscapes along with the tedious story. I recall liking this as a kid, but now I have no understanding as to why.
4. The Rose – Good music, but the storyline itself feels lost and without direction. Midler is a really good singer, but not necessarily an amazing actress. The concert scenes were enjoyable to watch, but everything in between just rambled on and on.
3. Being There – Great use of analogy for how politics works. Sellers is spectacular in the lead role and it is among his best dramatic performances despite it’s satirical undertones. Douglas is also great in a supporting role and deservingly won an Oscar for his performance. The way that the story unfolds is great because they show how absurd politics can sometimes get when they try to make improvements on the way things are being done. This idea is still very relevant even after 40 years.
2. Kramer vs. Kramer – Depicts some of the hard aspects of divorce from a father’s perspective. Done very well. Very deserving of its multiple Oscar wins including Picture, Director, Actor and Actress.
1. Apocalypse Now – Movie that can be understood on multiple levels but any way you look at it, it’s close to being a masterpiece. Amazing cast works so well throughout.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I think that MD was a deserving winner for his work on BT yet I still believe that RD should have won for his amazing performance in AN.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!