John Huston (The Cardinal)
Donald Pleasance – The Great Escape
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 5 ok performances without any of them being far ahead of the others in any way. Any of them could have won but 2 of them are slightly better than the rest.
5. Bobby Darin
4. Hugh Griffith
3. John Huston
2. Melvyn Douglas
1. Nick Adams
5. Tom Jones – Boring movie. Cant understand how it won Best picture. Stay away
4. Captain Newman, M.D. – This film loses so much of its power due to the fact that it can’t decide whether to be a comedy or a drama. The script is quite uneven and the viewer isn’t quite sure about who or what to care for. the star studded cast can’t help keep this film afloat.
3. Hud – Not the most entertaining story, but great performances by the four main actors which gave both Douglas and Neal Oscar wins for their performances.
2. The Cardinal – Preminger tells an epic tale that is more under appreciated that it probably should be. Those more familiar with the Catholic religion probably will get even more out of this than those of us who don’t.
1. Twilight of Honor – Great court room drama that borders on the risque because it deals with issues that weren’t so exposed back when this came out. Chamberlain is great in his debut role and is helped along by a great performance by Rains as his mentor. The storyline moves along at a great pace and keeps the viewer guessing as we get to see the various viewpoints of the different witnesses to parts of the crime even if they conflict with one another. Adams was very deserving of his Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for this role.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! MD does a really nice job in Hud and this feels like a career win since none of the other nominees were amazing but I think that NA was much more of a standout in ToH and probably should have won.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!