Sal Mineo (Exodus)
Eli Wallach – The Magnificent Seven
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 5 excellent nominees and any of them would have been quite deserving of taking home Gold. There was no clear front runner and things were up in the air throughout the awards season.
5. Peter Falk
4. Sal Mineo
3. Chill Wills
2. Peter Ustinov
1. Jack Kruschen
5. The Alamo – Great movie, nicely done by Wayne. Moving tale of heroism, but it seems a bit campy and doesn’t hold up as well over time.
4. Murder, Inc. – Great depiction of the way that the various gangsters decided to work together in order to have each group specialize in a different field. The story is told quite well and we get a clear picture as to why this idea was originally formed and how it was enacted as a way to make the mob even more powerful against their enemies. The dilemmas of the characters involved in parts of the schemes feel quite poignant and its easy to understand how and why things eventually fell apart. Falk is great in this film and was quite deserving of an Oscar nomination for his performance in this film.
3. Exodus – A bit long-winded, but the performances by Newman, Cobb, Saint, Mineo and the rest of the cast make it worthwhile to watch. Since the movie is only based around historical events, those of us familiar with the real history will be slightly disappointed in how events are stretched, but it’s still a very enjoyable story to watch unfold. Preminger truly was a great director of Epics!
2. Spartacus – Great movie that really shows us so much about life under Roman rule both for citizens and for slaves. Amazing cast helps make this film even better. This IMHO is truly Dalton Trumbo’s triumphant screenplay because it is written so well. The 3 1/4 hours is the perfect length to tell such a powerful and emotional tale of freedom from bondage and the ability to make ones own decisions in life and in death.
1. The Apartment – Excellent movie, has the perfect blend of drama and comedy, written extremely well by Billy Wilder. Very deserving of its Oscar wins.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! PU was a very deserving winner, but I think JK did a slightly better job and probably should have won.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!