Edmund Gwenn – The Trouble With Harry
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 5 great nominees in this category and any would be worthy of winning. One is slightly better than the others and had a small lead.
5. Arthur O’Connell
4. Joe Mantell
3. Arthur Kennedy
2. Sal Mineo
1. Jack Lemmon
5. Picnic – Pretty bland story about rebelling and wanting more in life. Cast is ok here but Holden (who I love) was horribly miscast because he comes off as being too old for the part he plays. The dialogue is sharp, but you don’t end up feeling that there was a strong enough message in the story.
4. Trial – Really enjoyable courtroom drama that is quite multilayered. The fact that they need to deal with certain situations that could not be discussed at the time makes for an even more creative kind of script which works really well. The added political ideas added to the storyline help outline the kind of world that people were living in at the time and despite the fact that many disagreed with such ideas, they give a plausible explanation as to how things like that can happen. The cast is superb with Ford, Kennedy and McGuire all giving stellar performances. Kennedy was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars for his role.
3. Rebel Without a Cause – The story presented here is quite timeless because it deals with the way children have trouble identifying with how their parents act and vice versa. The main cast of Dean, Wood and Mineo is great and they all seem quite believable as troubled teens. Part of the themes discussed here seem too connected to the 1950’s, but it’s easy to find connections to teens nowadays also. The idea that people do things without any reason, perhaps just out of boredom or because it’s easy is very prevalent here. This film shows how much of a future was possibly in store for Dean had he not died tragically a few months before the film was even released.
2. Marty – Feel good movie. Worthwhile. Very worthy of its 4 Oscars including Best Picture and Director.
1. Mister Roberts – Excellent script. Story and characters written extremely well. Expertly takes military command conflicts to a higher level. Cast is amazing!
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Great group of nominees but JL was clearly the biggest standout of the 5 and was quite deserving of winning an Oscar for this role in MR.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!