Claude Rains – The Passionate Friends
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with two great nominees that are a class ahead of the other three nominees.
5. Ralph Richardson
4. Arthur Kennedy
3. John Ireland
2. James Whitmore
1. Dean Jagger
5. Champion – Nice look at the kind of world that boxers need to live in as they try to make ends meet. Douglas does a great job playing a role which is not flattering at all since his characters is very egocentric and does all he can just to help himself and doesn’t care about anyone else. The boxing scenes are done really well and that is the main reason that this film won an Oscar for Best Editing. The story itself moves along too slowly and there isn’t much to like about the characters or the path that they choose to take.
4. The Heiress – Drags too much, but the performances are pretty good. De Havilland won a Best Actress Oscar for her role.
3. Twelve O’Clock High – Ok movie, nice aerial shots of real WWII fighting. Does a nice job looking at the way that pilots are affected during war.
2. All the King’s Men – Not as good as I had hoped for a Best Picture winner, but was pretty good. Crawford is superb in the title role.
1. Battleground – Excellent portrayal of the Battle of the Bulge which is even more impressive since it was filmed just a few years after the events happened. The cast is quite good with Johnson giving a great performance. Great to see Montalbon in an earlier role, yet his accent truly gives away who he is. This isn’t a very graphic war movie due to the time it was filmed yet it still managed to do an amazing job letting us feel both the physical and emotional hardships of these soldiers. Having seen Band of Brothers (2001) and that film’s depiction of similar events, it gives me an even greater appreciation for what they managed to do here. One of the best (if not THE best) of the five films nominated for Best Picture that year.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Absolutely! DJ is amazing as a shell shocked pilot trying to get back his life after the horrors he viewed in the war and none of the other nominees had a chance against him. The closest was JM in Battleground.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!